Kitten Quest - A Mini Adventure

An old animation, the walk is very wrong
The ENTIRE MAP (roughed out anyway)


The beginning area (some stuff is still missing)





"Oh, Brother" is turning into a much bigger project than I anticipated.
I'm still learning Construct and trying to solidify everything for it, and as indicated by the dolls in that room mock-up, I am always thinking about it. However, since I'm still learning the program, I thought I'd try a super simple little platformer to get me started.

It's an idea I'd planned long before I wanted to make "Oh, Brother". A simple game about a Kitten on a quest to find his lost toy. I was going to use it as one of many little platformers to work up to the Metroidvania "Starfall" that I still hope to make someday. "Oh, Brother" was actually going to be one of the stepping stones as well, only it was to be pure RPG to teach me how the hell to write a game. Since it's morphed into something both simpler and more complicated than it's original incarnation - I am going back to the Kitten game. 

I need to know how Construct works and trying to make a, relatively, complicated action-adventure platformer is not really helping me learn. More it's driving me nuts and draining my motivation. Which is bad.

Kitten Quest wont be complicated in the least. Mainly exploration and platforming. No Menus, no real quests to speak of beyond the main one and enemies will be of the "they touch you and it hurts" variety. With attacks being close and simple.

NPC interaction will be limited to asking for hints to the main quest and requesting assistance opening doors, both of which will be handled without dialogue. I'll toss up a mock-up of how I hope to handle the communication in a little bit.

For now, here is the basic story -

"You are a kitten. You've woken up from your Mid-day nap to find your favorite squeaky toy is missing. It is very important to you, so much so that you actually roll your fluffy butt out of bed to look for it. After a lazy search of your surroundings, you lament the obvious. You'll have to leave the room. And on such a warm, lazy day..

Of you go to begin your adventure!"

Kitten (as yet unnamed) is a pampered house cat. He does not like water, he is not much of a hunter and he certainly couldn't stand being outdoors for more than a minute (especially with the family dog out there). Throughout the game he will have to toughen up and learn to behave a bit more like a cat and less like a fop if he hopes to get his toy back.

As for Health, I'm going with a fairly simple Hearts and Lives system. Kitten begins with three hearts, each hit takes half (some meaner things take a whole one). Once his hearth are depleted, he loses a Life and hurries back to his bed. This means a possibly long walk for the player, but no other progress is lost. If he loses all of his Lives, however, it's Game Over.

There will be ways to gain extra Hearts and Lives (max 9 for each, because cat), and ways to recover Hearts.

Other than that it's basically run around, figure out how to get the doors open, follow the hints to the Squeaky Toy, get the Toy, go back to bed.

Simple, hopefully short, and with enough basic things to teach me how to work the engine. = )

I hope to paint it all out like the images above, so it shouldn't take too long to get it all sorted, at least. Getting things to work will take a bit longer, but I believe the tutorials I found cover all of what I want to do (or give me the information to figure it out).

I'm going to try and finish this as quickly as I can. Taking time to do things correctly, but I want to challenge myself to get something done in a short amount of time. A month, at most.

Wish me luck!
====

Long Update is LONG!  I am sorry...

No comments: